CPSM Study Groups Forming Now!
CPSM Study Groups Forming Now!
Want to Earn Your CPSM Certification?
Study groups are starting soon in Newport News and Richmond. If you are interested in joining either study group, please email Jodie Day at [email protected].
SMPS Virginia Annual Conference News
SMPS VA Annual Conference: Call for Speakers
Save the date for the 14th SMPS Virginia Annual Conference on February 20-21 at The Main in Norfolk!
The conference will include an opening and closing keynote address and approximately f ive 60 to 90-minute sessions. This agenda is subject to change depending on the proposals received. The audience may involve individuals at various career levels. The program formats may include lectures, panels, or workshops. SMPS believes learning is an interaction, not just the transfer of information f rom an expert to another individual. To uphold this philosophy, SMPS actively seeks presenters who possess the following key qualities:
- Relevant Topic: Program content should be relevant to the A/E/C industry, emphasizing how to help people grow in their careers and to help companies strategize and plan for the future. Content should relate to one of the six SMPS domains of practice: Marketing Research, Strategic/Business/Marketing Planning, Client and Business Development, Qualifications/Proposals, Promotional Activity, and Management and Business Performance.
- Command of Subject Matter: Presenters are chosen based on expertise in a specific content area. • Willingness to Teach: While command of the subject matter is essential, it is not the sole qualifying factor. Presenters should enjoy teaching and be willing to put forth effort to create a memorable learning experience for participants.
- Effective Interpersonal Skills: The ability to read and react to audiences is a prerequisite for a good communicator. Effective presenters and moderators are most concerned with what the audience is learning.
- Effective Listening Skills: Good listeners use reflective listening techniques before responding to a question f rom the audience. This ensures the presenter or moderator understands what is being asked and is validating to the learners that they are being heard.
- Use of Sound Instructional Methods: People learn more when they are actively involved. SMPS requests all presenters/instructors find ways to increase learner involvement.
- Willingness to Improve: Presenters will receive feedback f rom participant evaluations, audience comments, and observation.
All proposals must be submitted via email with PDF attachment by 5:00pm on Friday, December 6th to [email protected]. Click here for submission requirements and more information.
Call for Chapter Award Nominations!
Each year the SMPS Virginia Chapter accepts nominations for our Chapter Awards. Winners will be recognized at a special award luncheon at the SMPS Virginia Chapter Annual Conference in Norfolk on February 21, 2020. The due date for nominations is January 17, 2020 for the following award categories:
The Marketer of the Year award honors personal achievement and recognizes a member’s extraordinary leadership and contribution to their firm’s marketing success. This award recognizes a member’s leadership and personal achievements and accomplishments in his or her firm or as a consultant to an A/E/C firm. Download this form and nominate a Marketer of the Year!
The Rising Star of the Year award honors a current member of the Virginia Chapter of SMPS who has been in the A/E/C industry for three years or less and has demonstrated commitment to the professional services marketing profession and to the Chapter. This individual is innovative, motivated, shows great potential and is poised to be a future leader in the industry. Download this form and nominate a Rising Star!
The annual Volunteer of the Year Award honors a current member of the Virginia Chapter of SMPS who has demonstrated a commitment to the Chapter and the field of marketing professional services in the A/E/C industry through involvement in and contributions to the Chapter. Download this form and nominate a Volunteer of the Year!
For eligibility and submission instructions, click here.
Welcome New Members
Please join us in welcoming our newest SMPS Virginia Chapter members!
Kate Aten, Proposal Coordinator, Lynch Mykins
Erin Merkin, Marketing and Proposal Coordinator, Quinn Consulting
Kristen Smith, Business Development Manager
Happy SMPS Anniversary
SMPS Virginia recognizes the membership anniversary of the following chapter members:
Aishwarya Balagopal | 3 years
Brian Bonson| 18 years
Ellen Fohl | 8 years
Elizabeth Loeb | 5 years
John Midyette | 6 years
Leigh Anne Pope |10
Diane Rossini | 7 years
Kathleen Bozis | 4 years
Deniece DeLong | 10 years
Celeste Garrett | 11 years
Summer Gladden | 2 years
Mary Beth Lineberry | 5 years
Meredith Moore | 2 years
Laureen Richard | 18 years
Virginia Scott | 3 years
Greg Stephenson | 7 years
Katie Walley-Wiegert | 2 years
Suzanne Wolfe | 22 years